Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level

Hi, I started working on work permit(OPT) in 2012 and then

Hi, I started working on work permit(OPT) in 2012 and then from October went on H1B status.
I was trying to file my tax return via Turbo tax but i could find any option where i can mention the above scenario.
Can you suggest any website that allows me to do that or any other way i should file my tax return.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, and thanks for using Pearl.com. When you are filling out your tax form, you aren't going to enter in your visa information. If you pass the substantial presence test, you are classified as a Resident Alien for tax purposes and fill out a normal 1040 and are taxed on your world wide income.
The substantial presence test indicates you must be physically present in the United States on at least:
31 days during the current year, and
183 days during the 3-year period that includes the current year and the 2 years immediately before that, counting:
All the days you were present in the current year, and
1/3 of the days you were present in the first year before the current year, and
1/6 of the days you were present in the second year before the current year.
Writing in your status is not required for a standard 1040. I did find a good article for you though for tax consideration for those on an H1B visa: http://h1bvisataxes.com/index_files/H1taxFAQ.htm
Please let me know if you need anything else. If you are a resident alien for tax purposes, fill out the 1040 just like you would if you were a US citizen. There's no need to notate your immigration status on that return.
Thanks again for using Pearl.com and let us know if you need anything additional.
** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site*
You should be aware that your question, as with most tax questions, can never really be answered completely...addressing all the permutations; that is because of the many assumptions that have to be made I have done my best to determine what I think you are asking and answering it in the most direct and understandable manner possible. If, however, after reviewing the questions, you have any uncertainties or further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. Also if you ever need anything else in the future please Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your time and answer.
Just wanted your suggestion regarding filling the tax online using turbo tax or hr block vs filling on paper since this is the 1'st time. Previously as a student i use to do it online although just not sure that these sites cover all aspects or not.
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your follow up. You would need to purchase the software. The free online version does not have everything you need. You can call their 1-800 number to ensure that the product you buy has the features that you need.
Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com and have a safe, and happy, 2013.
Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level