Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

RA - fvh

Customer Question

I claim 0 for Federal, State and Local (NYC) tax.

If I calculate the amount of tax owed to NYC via the NYC tax rate table, I have overpaid significantly.

However, when I use H&R tax cut, when I enter my information for local tax, it deducts a significant amount from my estimated refund.

I tried to rename the locality in on my W2 information from NYC to NEW YORK, and that just makes things worse.

Am I missing something?
Category: Tax
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to the site. I will be helping you today.

Can you confirm a few things?

Claiming 0 exemptions on your w-4 should pay in enough to generate refunds.

When you entered your W-2 information in your software, did you enter the NYC and NYS withholdings correctly?

Also, check the state returns selected. If you are a NYC resident, that tax will come from the NYC withholding. Then NYS tax from its withholding.

Once you verify the W-2 and returns you are filing, I bet your software will recognize the withholdings and process things correctly.

Please advise once you have checked those entries. Thanks from Just Answer/Pearl.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Your solution is to make sure I entered the numbers correctly? I know some people may need that advice, but not me.

I claim 0 dependents for all levels.

When calculating state return, it says I am due a refund of $2800.

After entering city information, the refund drops to $19.

Having 0 dependents, I expect more than this.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

I would confirm that you entered NYC withholding from your W-2 in the software. If there was none, the software may have 'borrowed' NYS withholding to pay NYC taxes.

Please check this item, and reconsider the rating given. We have to start with the basics on our end.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
I would be glad to review your filing.
But it is hard to understand what exactly you entered into your tax preparation software.
My understanding is that the issue is with the state filing - correct?
I suggest that you post your state tax forms with amounts (or list line numbers and amount from each form).
Please be sure to remove all personal information from forms because all posts are available for general public.