Jesse Handel
Jesse Handel, Tax Preparer
Experience:  7 years tax preparation. IRS Registered Tax Preparer.

I recently completed my taxes using turbo tax. when it came

Customer Question

I recently completed my taxes using turbo tax. when it came time to submit they stated that my state return would have to be mailed in? I printed out the forms and instructions and it stated Attach the Form(s) W-2 and 1099-R to the back of your return. I understand about the w-2 but what about the 1099-R???
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jesse Handel replied 1 year ago.

Jesse Handel :

Hello and thank you for coming to our website. We appreciate the opportunity to help you with your questions. I'm sorry you're having problems with e-filing your state returns. Many states aren't yet ready to accept e-filed returns (the IRS won't even start processing returns until Jan. 30).

Customer:

yes, I understand that but all my state forms were available in turbo tax so i was able to work on everything online.

Jesse Handel :

I am checking to see whether Arizona is accepting e-filed returns yet. You may be able to e-file your return instead of mailing it in if you wait a few days.

Jesse Handel :

According to the most recent update that I can find, Arizona should be accepting e-filed returns as of yesterday. You may have a form that must be mailed.

Jesse Handel :

You might try to send your Arizona form by e-file again today. If you can e-file you will receive your refund more quickly.

Customer:

yes. the instructions say to attach the w-2 and 1099-R? we have the w-2's but have never had to attach a 1099-R and don't even have one???

Jesse Handel :

Did you take money out of an investment plan this year? (An IRA or a 401(k)). Do you receive pension income?

Customer:

no

Jesse Handel :

A 1099-R is the form that is used to report pension payments or money withdrawal from a pension plan or IRA. If you don't have an IRA or 401(K) or 403(b) for teachers, and you don't receive any pension income; then there is a mistake in your tax return. TurboTax believes that you have entered income that would be reported on a 1099-R.

Jesse Handel :

If you go to the sections concerning income and look under pension payments or IRAS, then you might find that there has been an accidental entry or a box checked that shouldn't be. Since you haven't received a 1099-R and you didn't have any transactions that should have resulted in a 1099-R being mailed to you, then there is a mistake in your tax return and you need to find it and correct it before you complete your taxes.

Customer:

ok, i ran all the reviews and everything should be right? I will go in and see if there is an extra form just hanging out...

Jesse Handel :

Please let me know if you need further information. Thank you for letting me help you.

Customer:

federal taxes were submitted?

Customer:

r u there?

Jesse Handel, Tax Preparer
Experience: 7 years tax preparation. IRS Registered Tax Preparer.

You need to go into the income section of TurboTax and see if there is anything listed (an entry or a checkbox that was incorrectly checked) that would make it look as if you had pension income or if you took money out of a 401(k) or an IRA. When you find the reason why TurboTax thinks you received a 1099-R, then you need to correct it. Once you find the problem and correct it, you will need to file an amended federal return. You don't want to file your state return by mail until you find the problem, so that you don't have to amend it.

Unless a 1099-R does arrive for you in the next few weeks or you find the problem in TurboTax, you'll have to file an amended federal return and wait to file your state return until you understand what the problem is. The IRS will look at your return and compare the paperwork they have to your return. TurboTax is seeing something in the information it has that tells it there should be a 1099-R issued for 2012. Unless the IRS has a 1099-R for you on file, you will receive a letter from the IRS wanting a copy of the 1099-R and an explanation of why the IRS didn't receive copy of the form.

Once you figure out what the problem is, you will have to file an amended return with the IRS explaining why they won't have a 1099-R form on file for you.

You probably need to start working with TurboTax tax support if you can't find an obvious error in the pension and retirement income section, so that they can help you find out what is wrong with your tax return. If you can't find the problem, other brick-and-mortar tax forms will review your tax return for free and they may be able to find out what the problem is.

You need to resolve this problem before you go any further with filing your state taxes, because filing an amended federal return is difficult and you don't want to have to file an amended return for the state as well.

Let me know if I can help you any further with this problem. I'll be happy to follow up until your problem is resolved.