Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner

Several yrs ago I owed $30,000. in back payroll taxes in Ca.

Several yrs ago I owed $30,000. in back payroll taxes in Ca. for a failed business. The state filed a tax lien on my Ca. home. Recently i sold the home paid the back taxes. Can i claim any part of that back tax payment on this yrs income tax return. I presently live in North Carolina?
Welcome, THANK YOU for using Just Answer. My goal is to help make your life...a little...LESS taxing.

In brief, yes, you may claim those taxes paid. Please note that you can claim only those taxes paid in TY 2012. SEE BELOW:

There are three types of deductible non-business taxes:

To be deductible, the tax must be imposed on you and must have been paid during your tax year. Refer to the Form 1040, Schedule A Instructions for more information. Taxes may be claimed only as an itemized deduction on Form 1040, Schedule A (PDF).

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

Thank you again for using JUST ANSWER.