Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner

I have a simple question - in north carolina tax dept - I

I have a simple question - in north carolina tax dept - I am being audited and was told
that they assigned my file to an auditor yesterday - my question : generally how long might it take to get a response back - whether to close the file or request more information - when they assign an auditor a file - are they assigned many files at the same time or they begin to work on my file

Welcome, THANK YOU for using Just Answer. My goal is to help make your life...a little...LESS taxing.

If the North Carolina tax department is like any other tax department, it is likely that your file is not going to be worked on right away. Typically auditors are assigned several cases. The number of cases, I cannot tell you how many. The auditing process of the North Carolina Tax Department does not appear to be made to the public. I am basing my information on personal experience with tax offices. As your file was just given to the auditor yesterday, if you are planning to call them, I would wait at least a week before making an inquiry. Depending upon all that is involved, an audit usually takes at least 30 days to complete. For more information on your rights as a taxpayer, if you do not already have it, you can read the Taxpayer Bill Of Rights, found at the following link:

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

Thank you again for using JUST ANSWER.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank u - I was audited in 05 and 06 and received a favorable ruling - now in 08 and 09 they auditing for the same issue - 1- would the previous ruling be applied since it s the same issue and 2- could this expedite the file

Hello again,

You are welcome. As for the 05 and 06 ruling, that would not apply to the current audit because even though you are being audited for the same issue, the audit is for a different time period 08 and 09. The fact that you have been audited for the same issue before could possibly expedite matters, but a previous audit does not automatically mean that the case would get preferential treatment.