How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask BK-CPA Your Own Question
BK-CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 933
Experience:  Owner of a CPA firm
Type Your Tax Question Here...
BK-CPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a tax question about earned income credits and social

This answer was rated:

I have a tax question about earned income credits and social security funds.

Suppose a person has three daughters-a 17 year old, a 14 year old, and a 12 year old.
The 17 year old made $12,000.00
For tax purposes the IRS allows a sibling to claim younger brothers/sisters for the EIC.

In order to maximize the Earned Income Credits the ideal strategy would be for the 17 year old to claim her sisters and the parent to claim the 17 year old.
Can the 17 year old claim the 14 and 12 year olds for EIC purposes and the 17 year old's parent claim her for the EIC on the parent's taxes?

Also, the 17 year old receives $9600 annually in survivorship social security money (deceased natural parent). Does working impact the 17 year old's taxable social security money or reduce her social security money in any way?

Hello there


A requirement for claiming the EIC is that the person who is claiming the children as dependents had to have provided more than 50 % of the support for their siblings in order to claim them as dependents for EIC purposes. Did the 17 year old provide more than 50% of their support during tax year 2012 or are we talking about a traditional household with 1 or 2 parents and all three children live with one or two parents?




Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think you are referencing the dependent test instead of the EIC (multiple support declaration excluded for this example).


From the IRS website:


Earned Income Tax Credit — a qualifying child does not have to meet the support test. Also, a qualifying child must have lived with the taxpayer in the United States for more than half the year and have a social security number that is valid for employment in the United States. A qualifying child is determined without regard to the exception for children of divorced or separated parents. If a qualifying child is married, he or she must also meet the marital status and nationality tests for a dependent (above).



Peter -


I am going to opt out of the question and send it over to the tax section. However, the tax expert may not be able to answer the social security question so you may end up having to post a separate question.




Tax expert here - as to your question as it pertains to taxes and EIC, you must consider the fact that the the 12 and 14 year olds can technically be considered the qualifying child of two people--the 17 year old and the 17 year old's parents. In that instance, the person with the higher AGI gets to claim them. As to the other part of your question, a person filing a tax return and claiming EIC cannot be claimed on another person's tax return as a dependent for EIC purposes.

Regarding your question re: the survivorship social security, I do not believe working has an impact on the amount, but I would suggest you post that as a separate question to be sure.

Please let me know if you require further information/clarification regarding your EIC question. Thank you.

Please see the following for further information.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Doesn't the highest AGI rule only apply if there is a dispute between the 17 year old and the parents? In other words, if everyone agrees the 17 year old can claim the kids for EIC purposes then isn't that allowed?

No. If they are all living in the same household, the tiebreaker rule applies, i.e., the person with the highest AGI prevails for EIC purposes.
Please advise if you require further information or clarification. If not, please remember to rate my answer to you because this is an important part of being an expert on Just Answer/Pearl and so that I can receive credit for answering your question. Thank you.

Hello and thank you for your question.


This is the kind of question that gets tax preparers in trouble because there is so much fraud with respect to this stuff and the rules are confusing. I am providing a new answer to this question and I am going to refer you to IRC sections 32 and 152. Keep in mind that IRC 32, dealing with the earned income credit, and IRC 152, defining dependents, both give definitions of qualifying children (something not acknowledged above that is causing problems with the above answers).


The seventeen year old cannot claim the others in terms of the earned income credit (IRC 32(c)(1)(B), IRC 32(c)(3)(A)). This assumes the seventeen year old is a qualifying child of one or more of the parents per IRC 32(c)(3)(A), even if no parent chooses to claim the seventeen year old as a dependent per IRC 152 or for the earned income credit per IRC 32.


The seventeen year old may be able to claim the other children as dependents if they are qualifying children under IRC 152(c). This assumes no parent claims the younger siblings despite being entitled to per IRC 152(c). If a parent were to claim the younger children as entitled to per IRC 152(c), the parent would automatically win the right to claim them without any consideration of the income being reported by the seventeen year old (IRC 152(c)(4)). If the seventeen year old wishes to claim the younger children as dependents, the seventeen year old must have adjusted gross income that exceeds the adjusted gross income of either of the presumed eligible parents, even if no parent claims the younger children.


What to do now? Stop trying to bend these rules, as you and your tax preparer will both be asking for trouble! Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear!!

BK-CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 933
Experience: Owner of a CPA firm
BK-CPA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
bkb1956 here - BK-CPA is absolutely correct, and I am grateful for the clarification. The definitions of qualifying children are vital criteria when addressing EIC. I apologize for my oversight.

Related Tax Questions