Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Can I claim my mother as a dependent if she is a US citizen

Can I claim my mother as a dependent if she is a US citizen but she does not live in the US? In 2012, she lived in a foreign country and did not set foot on US soil at all. Also, what kind of proof does IRS require to show that I'm supporting half of her household expense? I give her money periodically when I go visit. She lives with my father who is not a US citizen in a house they own together but I am not claiming him as my dependent. Thanks!
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Thank you for your question and thanks for using JustAnswer.com. In order to claim your mother as a dependent, the following must be true:

1) she earns less than $3,800 per year
2) she does not file a joint return with your father
3) you provide over half her support during the year

The IRS doesn't need proof when you actually claim her, but they could come back during audit and ask to see receipts and proof that you are supporting your parents. If you are not supporting half her living expenses, then you cannot claim her.

You could not ever claim your father, as he is not a US resident or citizen for tax purposes.

You can CLICK HERE to read more. Please let me know if you need anything additional. Thank you for using JustAnswer.com and have a happy and safe 2013.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site*
You should be aware that your question, as with most tax questions, can never really be answered completely...addressing all the permutations; that is because of the many assumptions that have to be made I have done my best to determine what I think you are asking and answering it in the most direct and understandable manner possible. If, however, after reviewing the questions, you have any uncertainties or further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. Also if you ever need anything else in the future please Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I think my question is in the case of audit, what kind of supporting documents shall I prepare to show "I provide over half her support during the year"?

I give my mom living expenses with cash when I go visit her in Hongkong.

You would show what you gave your mother, and an estimate of her living expenses.

Please let me know if this is unclear. Thanks for using JustAnswer and have a happy, and safe 2013

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I give her cash, what can I show? Isn't it funny to ask my mom to write me a receipt?

To show support, you need something better than a receipt from your mother. I would try to wire her the money or do something that you can prove out on a bank statement.

Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com and have a happy and safe 2013.