Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor

I have a received a scoped audit. It wants proof from past

I have a received a scoped audit. It wants proof from past employment of 08,09 that i don't have to pay Gross tax on my independant contractor wages for that year. One of the employers for those years is in tax trouble and supposidly can't issue me a NTTC to clear me of the late fees and penaltys. We missed the dead line to have all arguments submitted.
Next step will be the final Assessment and demand for payment. what can i do to prevent having to pay excessive penalties and fees and Gross tax that I didn't know I would be liable for later on down the road.?

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
Your tax professional should be able to advise on your protest rights but, you may dispute an assessment received by the Department or any provision of the Tax Administration Act in one of two ways: 1) by filing a written protest with the Secretary of Taxation and Revenue, or 2) by paying the tax liability and then filing a claim for refund.

You can request to have the penalties abated but not the interest. If they choose to allow the abatement a notice will be sent to you. As far as I can see that would be your only help because of the deadline being missed.