Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level

The payroll check that I received today for the pay period

The payroll check that I received today for the pay period of 12/16/12 to 12/29/12 has the new 2013 tax rate and is credited to my first pay of the year for 2013. The company who does the payroll for the place that I work said because the check was issued for 1/3/13 is does not matter what the dates and year were it goes by the issue date. Is this correct and how does that apply to the wages I earned for 2012?
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Thank you for your question, and thanks for choosing Your employer is correct - since the check was issued to you in 2013 it does not matter that you rendered services in 2012.

Any check you received in 2012 will be taxed in 2012. Therefore, the last paycheck from 2011 was likely paid in 2012.

Please let me know if you need anything additional, and thank you for choosing - have a happy, and safe 2013.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site*
You should be aware that your question, as with most tax questions, can never really be answered completely...addressing all the permutations; that is because of the many assumptions that have to be made I have done my best to determine what I think you are asking and answering it in the most direct and understandable manner possible. If, however, after reviewing the questions, you have any uncertainties or further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you for the positive rating. Please remember me the next time you have a question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer