Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level

My wife and I are separated. She lives in NC and I live in

My wife and I are separated. She lives in NC and I live in NY. I would like to do joint federal and separate state. Is that possible and what are the options. Can we do joint state even though she is not in NY. My son lives with her and he is 18 as of Oct 2012. She moved out January 2012.
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using Yes, you can certainly file joint federal returns and separate state returns. This would actually be correct, since she is not a NY resident. This is completely normal, and absolutely okay.

If you prepare your own tax on TurboTax, you can CLICK HERE for an explanation on how you would prepare separate state returns and joint federal returns.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. Thanks again for using and have a happy and safe 2013.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site*
You should be aware that your question, as with most tax questions, can never really be answered completely...addressing all the permutations; that is because of the many assumptions that have to be made I have done my best to determine what I think you are asking and answering it in the most direct and understandable manner possible. If, however, after reviewing the questions, you have any uncertainties or further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you for the positive rating. Please remember me the next time you have a question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer