Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

As Im sure you are ware there are hundreds of small community-based

Customer Question

As I'm sure you are aware there are hundreds of small community-based organization that have been operating as non-profit groups but do not have the 501 C3 status. I have been volunteering with one in Brooklyn and would like to know since they have been around so many years, can they still get 501C3 status and how would they handle back IRS taxes, if any, and how many years woulod they go back?

Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com. Your volunteer organization can still apply for 501(c)(3) status at any time. However, their status would be as of their application date, not retroactive to the beginning of their organization if they file more than 27 months after their date of organization.

You can CLICK HERE to read more.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. Thank you for using JustAnswer.com and have a happy, and safe, 2013.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site*
You should be aware that your question, as with most tax questions, can never really be answered completely...addressing all the permutations; that is because of the many assumptions that have to be made I have done my best to determine what I think you are asking and answering it in the most direct and understandable manner possible. If, however, after reviewing the questions, you have any uncertainties or further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. Also if you ever need anything else in the future please Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

.