How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16576
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have started my own pet sitting business, and I was officially

Resolved Question:

I have started my own pet sitting business, and I was officially up and able to take clients by mid December. My fiscal year ended December 31st. I haven't gotten my first client yet. Do I still file taxes, and deduct start up costs, even though I haven't generated any income, or do wait and file my taxes and deductions when I file my 2013 taxes?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.\

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using As you have not yet generated income, your startup costs will not be deductible until 2013. On top of that, any expense that you have incurred up until you start generating income is known as a 'startup cost' and is not deductible in full during your first year of operations. Instead, it's spread over a period of 180 months.

There is an allowance to deduct up to $5,000 of startup costs in your first year. So, if your startup costs are less than $5,000 then next year you can deduct the entire amount. You can read about startup costs, HERE.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. Thanks for using and good luck with your pet sitting business!

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO XXXXX UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site*
You should be aware that your question, as with most tax questions, can never really be answered completely...addressing all the permutations; that is because of the many assumptions that have to be made I have done my best to determine what I think you are asking and answering it in the most direct and understandable manner possible. If, however, after reviewing the questions, you have any uncertainties or further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Megan C and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Megan C replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the positive rating. Please remember me the next time you have a question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer