Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

do i need to register to vat in usa, i have a delaware corporation

do i need to register to vat in usa, i have a delaware corporation offering online tax advice services both inside and outside USA
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com. In the United States, there's no such thing as VAT so there's no requirement to register. There is sales tax, but this would only be applicable if you were operating within a specific state in the US. If you are outside the US, you won't charge sales tax on your services, either.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. Thanks for using JustAnswer.com and have a great day.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO XXXXX UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site*
You should be aware that your question, as with most tax questions, can never really be answered completely...addressing all the permutations; that is because of the many assumptions that have to be made I have done my best to determine what I think you are asking and answering it in the most direct and understandable manner possible. If, however, after reviewing the questions, you have any uncertainties or further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My firm has an online business in usa, offering services to both clients outsite in usa and inside. How I pay sales tax within the USA if my clients are from different states

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
If you have an actual office inside the US, the only state you would collect sales tax in is where you are physically located. If you are doing the work overseas for the US clients, then there's no sales tax.

For example, if you had an office in New York you would register with New York for sales tax, and you would only charge sales tax on customers that were also in New York. You would not charge sales tax for someone who was in, say New Jersey.

Hope this makes sense. Besides, your service isn't typically a taxable service. Professional services aren't subject to sales taxes in many states.

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the positive rating. Please remember me the next time you have a question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer