Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.

Is there anything that can be done to expedite the release

Is there anything that can be done to expedite the release of a tax lien? The outstanding taxes were paid 2 weeks ago but the lien is still in place. This is for state taxes incurred by my now ex-husband while working in Mississippi.

Thank you for allowing me to be of service to you. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to get them to move any faster to release the lien. Will they at least fax or mail you something that documents that the lien is paid in full? Are you located close to their office where you could go and pick up something that marks the lien as paid in full? Please let me know if you need additional information or clarification. Otherwise, please rate my answer to you since that is an important part of being an expert on this website.

JACUSTOMER-fep7szc1- :

I have requested they send me something that shows it has been paid, as did my ex-husband. Unfortunately I am trying to close on a house and this will impact my ability to get a loan. I didn't think I could do anything but thought I would ask. Thank you!

Do you have your canceled check? A copy of the front and back might allow you to close, depending on the title company and/or lender. They know the time it takes to get liens released.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a copy of the canceled check and a document from the MS department of revenue saying the assessment has been canceled but apparently that isn't good enough for the lender.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Thank you for the suggestion, though.

I was hoping they would accept the canceled check on a temporary basis until the lien was released. It was a pleasure being of service to you. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require any assistance in the future.