Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.

My mother is not a citizen nor a resident...yet (though we

My mother is not a citizen nor a resident...yet (though we are applying for the latter). She just sold a property in Costa Rica and wants to split the money between my sister and me. As far as I understand there is no gift tax but is there income tax for my sis and myself???

Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. No, this would be a gift, and thus it's not income. A donee does not pay a gift tax; and since it's a gift, there are no income taxes resulting to you. But, if the amount is over $100,000 to either of you, you will need to file a Form 3520 with the IRS to simply report it because it is coming from outside the U.S. There will be no tax; it's only a reporting requirement.

Thank you so
much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I've done my best to provide information which
will be helpful to you.
If I have not
fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I
have misinterpreted your questions in any way,
please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so
I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer
. If I have fully answered your
question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service
with 3, 4, or 5
faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to
provide me a positive rating!

Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve
you! If I can be of assistance to you in
the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help!