Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Im divorced, my daughter (21) lives with her mother and commutes

I'm divorced, my daughter (21) lives with her mother and commutes to college. I pay for my daughter's college and expenses, including rent for my daughter to technically rent her room in her mother's house while she attends school. Her mother and I have continued to alternate years claiming my daughter as dependant even though she's over 18, that's fine w/me, but I'm wondering if I can claim my daughter's school deduction on my taxes if I don't claim her as a dependant this year.
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Thank you for your question, and thank you for using JustAnswer.com. The answer to your question is no, you cannot take the tuition and fees deduction because your daughter is not a dependent on your tax return.

I am sorry if this is not favorable for your situation. Please feel free to follow up if you have any further questions. Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site**

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Could I, if I wanted to be a jerk(and I'm not sure I do), claim my daughter as a dependant, because I provide most of my daughter's financial support, and child support is legally over?

Thank you for your question and your follow up. You have two options here. First, you can be a jerk and claim your daughter, and if you get your tax return in first there's not much your ex wife can do about it.

Your second option is to allow your daughter to be claimed on your exes return. In this case, she can take the tuition deduction even though you paid the tuition. Therefore, the deduction isn't lost, it's just not taken on your return.

The choice is up to you. If you want to claim your daughter, then be sure to get the return in first.

Thanks again for turning to JustAnswer.com for your tax needs. I hope this helps you with your situation. If not, please follow up until and I will ensure you are a satisfied customer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I wouldn't do that unless I told my ex I was going to, I'm not that kind of person, just wanted to say that. No response required, thanks for the great service and answers, send back so I can Accept, thnaks again.

You're welcome - we don't have accept anymore. You can rate my response as "excellent" and that would trigger a payment.

Thanks again for using JustAnswer and have a great holiday season
Thank you for the positive rating. Please remember me the next time you have a financial question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer