Dave CPA
Dave CPA, Accountant
Experience:  Vast knowledge within the accounting/tax industry

One of our employees completed a 5 month govt contract. Can

One of our employees completed a 5 month gov't contract. Can I expense rent or hotel, meals, gas, etc. for the entire 5 months? If not, how long or what percent? And please reference the IRS section in your answer for my records. Thank you!
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer,

If the assignment or job is away from your main place of work the job is temporary, your tax home does not change and you can deduct. You are considered to be away from home for the whole period you are away from your main place of work. You can deduct your travel expenses if they otherwise qualify for deduction. Generally, a temporary assignment in a single location is one that is realistically expected to last (and does in fact last) for 1 year or less.

You can deduct the expense you have listed and probably more. There is a 50% limit on the meals. I have enclosed the IRS publication on this topic. Each type of expense is explained in detail in regards XXXXX XXXXX

Please let me know if you have any questions before you rate my answer. A positive rating is what I strive for