How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask WebCPA Your Own Question
WebCPA, Tax Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 111
Experience:  Licensed CPA. 10+ years experience.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
WebCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

im a rental property owner. and i am hiring a general contractor

Resolved Question:

im a rental property owner. and i am hiring a general contractor to remodel and repair a property. do i need a w9 from him even though i am writing checks to his business name and i have invoices and estimates with his business information.

if he refuses to to give me a w9 can i still deduct my repair costs without the w9 and still 1099 at the end of the year
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  WebCPA replied 3 years ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I'll do my best to provide an informative answer. Please let me know if you need any clarification.


If the contractor is a corporation (i.e. XYZ, Inc., or XYZ Corp., etc.) then no, you do not need to issue a 1099 and the W-9 would not be necessary. And yes, you can still deduct the repair costs for the rental property. Just keep all of the invoices and/or receipts to support your deduction.


Per the 1099 instructions, there are a few circumstances that would require a 1099 for a corporation. They are as follows:


Reportable payments to corporations. The following payments made to corporations generally must be reported on Form 1099-MISC.

Medical and health care payments reported in box 6.
Fish purchases for cash reported in box 7.

Attorneys' fees reported in box 7.

Gross proceeds paid to an attorney reported in box 14.

Substitute payments in lieu of dividends or tax-exempt interest reported in box 8.

Payments by a federal executive agency for services (vendors) reported in box 7.


Here is a link to the instructions for your reference:


I hope this helps and please let me know if you need further assistance.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the contractor is a sole proprieter and he stated to me that he does not need to fill out a w9 since he states that the 1099 requirement for landlords was repealed.


i still write checks to his business name and all his invoices and estimates have his company info. also i have already checked his contractor license and general liability insurance and it all checks out.


my main concern is that i still deduct the expenses for the repairs. as i have had this contractor work on my own personal with no issues and performed great work.


thanks so much



Expert:  WebCPA replied 3 years ago.
Greetings,The 1099 instructions refer to payments made in a trade or business, which would not apply to rental property owners (passive activity) unless clearly a dealer in real estate or engaged in the active rental of properties as a trade. The healthcare act did expand the 1099 reporting to all landlords but it was later repealed. Therefore, you would not be required to issue a 1099.Kind regards
WebCPA, Tax Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 111
Experience: Licensed CPA. 10+ years experience.
WebCPA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience