Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I left my church and requested a statement of giving for tax

Customer Question

I left my church and requested a statement of giving for tax purposes. I was advised by the church to tell them how much I've given. When I inquired about my daughter's giving which was in the form or cash I was instructed to give them a figure and they will take my informtaion in good faith. This is concerning to me as I was under the assumption that the chuch was to keep accurate accounting. We provided our offering in envelopes which required our names and amount. Is this appropropriate?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Churches should keep an accurate accounting of who has given them funds. Most likely the church saves the envelopes and then at the end of the year counts it all up. They probably don't want to go through the hassle of going through the envelopes now, looking for your daughter's contribution.

As long as you know about how much you gave then you should be fine. You will have your required tax proof.

The church isn't going to get in trouble for this case. If the church doesn't keep accurate records, the worst case is that people who gave cash do not have proof of what they gave the church, and therefore cannot deduct the taxes.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid, but the Web site will still collect your payment. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site**
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for responding. I have never experieced this type of situation, especially when I pay in check form. The church is having financial difficulty which increases my level of concern. If they did not have my daughter's information I sincerely believe they should have my contributions especially since they record data on the computer.

Expert:  Megan C replied 4 years ago.
Yes, but they might not do it until the end of the year. I have audited churches (the reason for the audit is typically it's a large church that has debt and the bank requires an annual audit) and sometimes the smaller to mid sized churches don't count up the allocation of donations until the end of the year.

Some churches do use software and they enter in each check to each parishoner's account. Then, they could print it.

If you paid check your cancelled checks are proof too and you don't need anything in writing from them.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I thought that new tax laws now require a statement from the church and that checks were no longer the only method of demonstrating contributions. Thank you for your help. But I do believe a statement if now required from religious institutations.

Expert:  Megan C replied 4 years ago.
The written confirmation is required if you gave more than $250 in any one day. If you gave less than $250 per week to your church, your canceled checks would be enough. Most people do not give more than $250 to a church on a single day. CLICK HERE