Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

If I take a lump sum distribution from my pension, does the

If I take a lump sum distribution from my pension, does the 20% federal tax withheld go against my personal income tax. For example, if I take a withdrawal of $25,000 and they tax that withdrawal at 30% (20% federal + 10% early distribution), does the total amount of $25,000 get taxed again at my personal income tax rate of 25%-28%? If so does the 20% taken out originally included in as taxes paid already? Thanks.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. The 20% withheld simply acts just like the withholding on your employment compensation. The distribution is taxed as ordinary income on your Form 1040 and added to your other income to determine your taxable income. Then, once your tax is determined on that ordinary income, the amount withheld is credited against the tax due. So, if you take a withdrawal of $25,000 and the additional tax is 30% of that...which is $7500, the 20% withheld (i.e., $5,000) is then credited against that tax, leaving you owing an additional $2500 when you file your 1040.

I hope this
has given you information that has been helpful to you. If the information
seems
more general than
specific, please be aware that we are only allowed to
provide information
and not
specific advice.
If you
have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between
your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or
taking a break.

If you do have any additional questions about my answer
please simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide
you with a fully satisfactory answer.
Please be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is
reflected as a negative rating, reflects negatively on my performance, and I
receive no credit for my answers.

Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you. Please be
aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is
simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any
information given is simply information only and specifically is not

intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal
advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship
with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Thank you for your question. The 20% tax goes against your personal income tax liability. However, the 10% early withdraw penalty does NOT go against your personal income tax liability - you won't get that part back

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid, but the Web site will still collect your payment. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site**

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

The original expert's answer is spot on.

He used your 30% example (knowing that you had already presented that as partially being 10% penalty) to address your real question; Am i being taxed twice here?

Do not be confused by the statement ... "The 20% tax goes against your personal income tax liability. However, the 10% early withdraw penalty does NOT go against your personal income tax liability ... "

The original expert's answer (given your specific question) completely clears it up, especially when you look at the numbers.