Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level

I am in Michigan. Prior to my 2011 divorce, my then wife filed

I am in Michigan. Prior to my 2011 divorce, my then wife filed a pain and suffering lawsuit. In the divorce settlement, I was given a percentage of any potential award.
Post divorce, she has settled out of court. Is the money I recieve taxable as income ?
I know her portion is not.
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Thank you for your question. If it's not taxable to her, it's not taxable to you, either. If you were married the entire amount would be not taxable. You getting the funds is just a matter of you getting what you would have if you were married This is still a pain and suffering award.

Pain and suffering awards are never taxable. So, this won't be taxable to you either.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid, but the Web site will still collect your payment. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site**
Thank you for the positive rating. Please remember me the next time you have a financial question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer