Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Hi my husband owns a house in Schuyler county Missouri my name

Hi my husband owns a house in Schuyler county Missouri my name is XXXXX XXXXX it I have a vehicle I own solely his name is XXXXX XXXXX it he owns personal property taxes on his house and the motor vehicle department wont let me renew my car without a paid personal property tax receipt. Granted I probably owe on my car but all this time I thought they would send me a separate tax payment what do I do?
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Thank you for your question. What you need to do in this situation is pay the personal property tax that is due on your car or make arrangements with the taxing authority to do so.

You are not liable for the property taxes on the house. Your husband is not responsible for the personal property taxes on the car. Your husband not paying his taxes will not impact your ability to register your vehicle.

You should have two separate tax bills for the house and the car. This is not only because you are two separate tax payers but because the house and the car are not connected to each other.

The best thing to do is to pay the property tax on your car, and then show the receipt for that. Once you do that, you will be able to register your car.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid, but the Web site will still collect your payment. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site**
Thank you for the positive rating. Please remember me the next time you have a financial question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer