How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Phillip B, EA Your Own Question

Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 675
Experience:  Practicing since 2004. Expert in 1040, small business, represent vs. IRS, & int'l tax mattters.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Phillip B, EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got a CP2000 for underreported income (securities that I

Customer Question

I got a CP2000 for underreported income (securities that I did not report correctly). The IRS charges these taxes without a cost basis. When I put everything together, my taxes owed were about $700 rather than $23,000. It took some time to get all the documents together, but the day I was ready to mail it out, I got a Notice of Deficiency. May I still mail in my CP 2000 correction with the payment, or have things suddenly got much more complicated and now I have to go through a tax court, etc? I just want to mail in my CP 2000, but I'm not sure if they will still accept it. Thanks!
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Phillip B, EA replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for using!

I would still send your response to the CP2000 and maintain your documentation. If the IRS makes the proper adjustment from your CP2000 response, then you can simply move on without any additional hassles. However, if the IRS doesn't make the proper adjustment from your CP2000 response, you may want to hire a CPA, EA, or tax attorney to help you. These licensed tax professionals can deal with the IRS in your behalf, and they may be able to help solve your problem more expeditiously.

The notice of deficiency gives you 90 days to file a Tax Court petition. If the matter isn't fixed within the 30 day period prior the 90th day, I would recommend filing the petition. You don't have to hire an attorney to file the petition, you can used this form ( to file the petition on your own behalf. After the petition is filed, the case will go back to IRS appeals. IRS appeals is usually a good place to get issues like this resolved.

If there are other questions or concerns, please reply to this answer so that I may assist you further.

If this answers your question, please rate my performance between OK and Excellent so that I may be paid. Thanks for your business.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am sure they would have accepted the CP 2000 if I had filed it on time. It's a pretty routine issue. But what I'm wondering now is if missing the deadline means they won't accept it as a matter of law. Your answer hints that maybe they will accept it, maybe not?

Expert:  Phillip B, EA replied 2 years ago.
They may be inclined to request substantiation to prove your basis, where they probably would not have if the CP2000 response was filed on time. As long as you can prove the basis, the issue will be resolved in your favor. However, you may need to deal with some additional hassles that you definitely would have avoided it the CP2000 response would have been sent on time.

In the your CP2000 response you may want to include the following:

"Based on the enclosed documentation, we request a audit reconsideration." This is a process in the IRS, and it will help keep the CP2000 reponse in forward progression. Also, send the CP2000 reponse to the address that sent the notice of deficiency.

Let me know if there is anything else that I can do.
Expert:  Phillip B, EA replied 2 years ago.
How is it going?

Thanks for using JustAnswers, and allowing me to opportunity to serve you.

Before the question can be closed and I can be paid, you need to rate my service. Please click "OK Service" or better so that I am paid for assisting you. Please ask for further assistance if needed. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid but the Web site will still collect your payment.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Wendy Reed's Avatar

    Wendy Reed

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • MequonCPA's Avatar


    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience