How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard , Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 53327
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a C corporation (I thought I had made it into a S corp

Resolved Question:

I have a C corporation (I thought I had made it into a S corp but didnt) so I can't write off the loss on my personal tax return. Is there something else I can write off from my corporate return on my personal tax return. Help!
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. Unfortunately, a C Corp is taxed entirely as its own entity. None of the tax attributes...either on the income side or the expense side received or incurred at the corporate level can be deducted on your personal tax return. If you have incurred personal expenses that are business related, you can deduct those on your personal return on Form 2106. Also, if you own your own vehicle and you use it for business, then there would be deductions available for that business use.

I hope this
has given you information that has been helpful to you. If the information
more general than
specific, please be aware that we are only allowed to
provide information
and not
specific advice.
If you
have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between
your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or
taking a break.

If you do have any additional questions about my answer
please simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide
you with a fully satisfactory answer.
Please be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is
reflected as a negative rating, reflects negatively on my performance, and I
receive no credit for my answers.

Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you. Please be
aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is
simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any
information given is simply information only and specifically is not

intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal
advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship
with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you please give me examples of personal expenses that can be deducted?


Also do I deduct mileage for the auto or repairs, service, etc?



Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

They would not be personal expenses; rather they would be ordinary and necessary business expeneses related to your business or employment that you incurred personally. These could include travel, meals and entertainment, home office, computer equipment and supplies, etc.

The rules on automobile use for business is as follows:

First, you must use the car for business. If so, you can then explore whether to use the mileage deduction method or actual cost.

Standard Mileage Method?

The milegage amount is 55.5 cents per mile for 2012. That includes most of the cost
of operating the car--depreciation, repairs, gas, oil, etc. In addition, you can
deduct tolls, parking expenses (but fees to park your car at your place of work
are nondeductible commuting expenses). If you're an employee, you cannot deduct
any interest paid on a car loan. However, if you are self-employed and use your
car in that business you can deduct that part of the interest that reflects the
business use of the car. For example, based on the miles driven during the year,
you use your car for your sole proprietorship 70% of the time. You can deduct
70% of the interest for the year on your Schedule C. If you itemize, you can
deduct personal property taxes on Schedule A of your Form 1040 whether or not
you use the car for business. If you do business as a sole proprietorship, and
use your car in your business, you can deduct the business part of personal
property taxes on Schedule C and the remaining portion on Schedule A.

Actual Expense Method

If you're using the actual expense method you can deduct all the expenses of
operating the vehicle. That includes gas, repairs, insurance, lease payments,
depreciation, etc. But you'll have to maintain records and keep the receipts of
all the expenses. Lost the receipts for those gas expenses in April? If you're
audited the IRS can disallow the expenses. And if you're audited there's a very
high probability the IRS will ask for your car logs, expense documentation, etc.
for all business vehicles. Agents know most taxpayers are lax in this area and
most of the time an agent is almost guaranteed to disallow some deductions.

You can only deduct the portion of the expenses incurred for business use.
For example, you drive your SUV 10,000 miles during the year. Only 6,000 of
those miles were for business. You can only deduct 60% of the expenses.

For a full discussion of this topic and additional limitations and rules, go to:

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. Two last questions please. My company was a relaxation/massage company and I paid for all of the dry cleaning of the robes. Can I deduct that? I paid my business partner's mother $200 per month to do that. Will I need a receipt from her?


Also, even though I am the owner of the corp/company I can still deduct as an employee the above services?



Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
If you paid these personally and were not reimbursed, these would be appropriate ordinary and necessary business expenses you could deduct. You will need documentation in the event you were audited.
Richard, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 53327
Experience: 29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
Richard and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience