How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AnswerCPA Your Own Question
AnswerCPA, Tax Professional
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 214
Experience:  Tax professional, corporate and individual tax.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
AnswerCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I file a joint return. I work as an employee. She

This answer was rated:

My wife and I file a joint return. I work as an employee. She will soon be starting work as an independent contractor. Can I just increase my tax withholding at my job each pay period to cover the taxes she would owe on her IC income? Or do we have to pay estimate quarterly taxes?

AnswerCPA :

Welcome and thank you for your question.

Yes, you can either increase your payroll tax withholding or pay estimated taxes to cover the tax liability. Will your wife be working as an I/C for one company or organization?


Yes, she will be working as an IC for one company.

AnswerCPA :

Then the easiest way is estimate her tax liability and increase your withholding. Please keep in mine that she will also be subject to self-employment tax and will need to report the 1099 Misc she receives from the organization for her services on Schedule C in the Form 1040.

AnswerCPA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you