How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask CGCPA Your Own Question

Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3782
Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters
Type Your Tax Question Here...
CGCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We just got a notice from IRS saying they had changed some

Resolved Question:

We just got a notice from IRS saying they had changed some of our information. This was filed as a married filing seperately return. Nita also filed that year married filing seperately and had no profit and she got a similiar letter. Both letters said we had not sent our W-2 and dividend info so they cut the amount Steve had withdrawn when he received a distribution from UBS (our fianancial advisor). We called H & R Block as we had used their software and they explained how we had mistakenly doubled Fed. tax from Steve's W-2.
They assigned a case number XXXXX are sending a letter to IRS. Is it too late to do an amended return filing joint as H & R block showed us we would be far better off. They said we could but I thought Oct. 15, 2011 was the last day we could file an amended return for 2008.
Also UBS did not send a 1099 R showing tax withheld from our our proceeds but they did send a 1099 R to us after asking for our entire year report. UBS called back and said IRS should have the supplemental info as it was sent electronically.The report said that we had dividend's paid of 23,000 and that we had a short term capital loss of $124000. They reinvested our dividends for an even bigger loss. Do we have to report the $23,000 as part of our AGI? Also please explain our basis.
Steve retired June 30, 2008 and they rolled over his 401K in the amout of $430,000 and their end of the year report said our ending balance was $288,900. So was our basis $430,000 or $288900 or something else. The bulk of our distribution was from the cash account so we did not gain or lose on that account so I could not show a loss on the distribution I understand that part and we had witholding taken out but IRS sent a transcript to IRS about the rollover and beginning and ending balance but not an a 1099 R to IRS. I had put in our distribution but IRS said they had no proof. Please help. Thanks, Nita
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  CGCPA replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.

Hi Nita,

I answered you the other day. Here is the response I sent you.

First I need to advise you that it too late to file an amended return for 2008. That deadline expired on April 15, 2012.

You should have reflected the interest and dividends as income on your return as well as the capital loss. The loss would not be entirely usable on the 2008 return since there is a $3,000 limit for the net deductible capital loss.The remainder carries over for future use, year by year.

As to the failure by UBS to reflect the tax paid on your 1099-R that will require correspondence between you and the IRS to get resolved since UBS is not able to assist at this time. Include a cover letter explaining this and a copy of your year end statement from UBS to show the tax paid. The IRS will allow this due to the circumstances or provide you the time to secure a corrected 1099-R.

The IRS will make all other changes to the return and send you a letter showing their final changes. Be sure to mention the interest, dividends and capital loss in your correspondence so all these items can be corrected.

You should also check your tax returns for the following years to be sure the capital loss carry over has been reflected on Schedule D so that you do not lose this tax benefit. You can still amend 2009, 2010, and 2011 using form 1040X and its attachments. These forms are available at You will also need to notify your state about the final IRS changes to 2008 and file amended state returns if any changes are made using the 1040X.

Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3782
Experience: over 40 years experience in tax matters
CGCPA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Wendy Reed's Avatar

    Wendy Reed

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • MequonCPA's Avatar


    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience