Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986

I am a us expats with a dual citizin I became a us citizin

Customer Question

I am a us expats with a dual citizin I became a us citizin since 10 years and never worked in the us or file a tax return as a matter of facts I just recently knew I am obligated to file tax return therefore,I seek helpe with what to do and if diss missing my citizn and avoid going through any kind of troble
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 3 years ago.

For the citizenship renunciation to be legal, you must do the following:

Appear (in person) before a U.S. consular or diplomatic officer.

Further, it must done IN a foreign country ... So a good way to do this is at a U.S embassy or consulate's office.

And you must sign an oath of renunciation.

And finally, you should have some help you (at the embassy, they may be able to direct you to someone) to get the past tax returns done and see if you owe anything.