Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.

Dear Sir/Madam I am trying to double check my 2010 and

Dear Sir/Madam

I am trying to double check my 2010 and 2011 federal tax returns completed by my tax account.

My 2010 taxable income (Form 1040, Line 43) was $259,601 what should be my total federal income tax for 2010

My 2011 taxable income (Form 1040, Line 43) was $208,422 what should be my total federal income tax for 2011.

Your prompt reply will be appreciated.

Sincerely yours,

Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Hi there. What was your filing status? Married filing separately, married filing jointly, single, head of houshold? Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my filing status is married filing jointly

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Married filing jointly is my filing status

Thanks again

For 2010, the tax is $46,833.50 plus 33% of taxable income over $209250 = $63449.33

For 2011, the tax is $46428.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Sir,

My tax account had come up different figures in our returns:

Our 2010 federal income tax was $78,400

Our 2011 federal income tax was $61,335

According to your figures I have overpaid $14,951 in our 2010 return and over paid $14,907 in our 2011 return.

Do you have any idea how he would have made such mistakes in calculation? Do I miss anything in the information that I gave to you? I plan to see my tax account on our returns; however, I want to make sure that I am fully prepared for meeting him.

Does IRS check our returns for catching calculation errors like this? If they do, how come I have not received any notifications from IRS on such errors?

Your prompt advices will be appreciated.

I would not know. You could have some other taxes such as self-employment taxes that could be due that would be on top of the normal taxable income. You will want to ask him if there are additional amounts other than the income tax being included. The IRS does check the math on some of these; but if you have indeed overpaid, you can simply file an amended return for each year and get your refund.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.