Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.

I just set up a payment arrangement with the State of Michigan

Customer Question

I just set up a payment arrangement with the State of Michigan for tax debt. The debt is a bit over 1800. The woman I spoke with said that because I couldn't set up an arrangement to pay it off in 3months, they were going to put a lien on me until it's paid in full?! I don't understand this. I thought liens were only placed on you if you didn't pay? Please help.
Thank you.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. It's typical for a lien to be placed to secure the payment. The critical thing is that the lien is only placed to secure the payment. As long as you perform under your agreement with the State, they will not take any action with respect to the lien and will remove it upon full payment. They simply put it there to protect their priority to avoid another lien getting priority.

I hope this
has given you information that has been helpful to you. If the information
seems
more general than
specific, please be aware that we are only allowed to
provide information
and not
specific advice.
If you
have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between
your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or
taking a break.

If you do have any additional questions about my answer
please simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide
you with a fully satisfactory answer.
Please be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is
reflected as a negative rating, reflects negatively on my performance, and I
receive no credit for my answers.

Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you. Please be
aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is
simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any
information given is simply information only and specifically is not

intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal
advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship
with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for answering. How do I know if they place it only to secure the payment? She stated they were going to place it on any property etc...that I own.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You'll know because they won't be foreclosing on it. They do this because if they do not, what they risk is a taxpayer going an borrowing money and giving a lien on the property and then the tax authority's position is weakened. This is standard procedure and their agreement should contain a provision that they will not foreclose or levy on any of the liens as long as you are performing under the agreement.
Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience: 29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thanks so much for the bonus! I appreciate your generosity and the
opportunity to serve you! If I can be of
assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help!