Shane-CPA
Shane-CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Shane Northrop is a Certified Public Accountant, Personal Financial Specialist and a Chartered Global Management Accountant
71228106

This is related to tax evasion. If someone uses the wrong

This is related to tax evasion. If someone uses the wrong birthdate intentionally on a tax return, is there any reason to believe that would help them avoid paying taxes or get around taxes in any way?

Shane-CPA :

Hello...my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Certified Public Accountant. I look forward to assisting you with your tax question.

Shane-CPA :

If you are e-filing your personal tax return, the IRS checks your birth date against the one that the Social Security Administration (SSA) has on file for the SSN on your return. If the birth dates don't match, then it is unlikely that your return would even be accepted by the IRS. If the return is rejected and you do not correct the error, then the IRS would have no record of you filing your personal tax return for that year.

Shane-CPA :

If, however, you mail your tax return to the IRS, you will likely receive a letter from the IRS stating that there may be an error on your return related to the birth date. Since income is reported to the IRS using your Social Security Number, an incorrect birth date would not have any effect on avoiding taxes or getting around paying taxes.

Customer:

i think it was a paper return. hmm. so strange. this person has two different birthdates listed on tax forms. for example, his I-9 ha

Customer:

s a different birth year.

Shane-CPA :

Actually looking at the paper return it does not ask for your birth date, because you calculate your own deductions and credits manually. So you are only asked for your birth date when e-filing.

Shane-CPA :

It may be an error on one of the forms. I would assume it was an accident because there is no tax advantage to putting a wrong birth date.

Shane-CPA :

Unless maybe the person took a distribution from a retirement plan and was trying to state that they were 59 1/2 or older to avoid the 10% penalty. That is the only area where I could see an advantage.

Shane-CPA :

Depending on the year you are looking at for the persons date of birth. 60 years ago would be roughly 1952.

Customer:

what if someone is collecting disability in a trust? Sorry, I will pay for two questions.

Customer:

would that be a reason two birthdates would appear?

Shane-CPA :

You don't need to pay for 2 questions...I'll be happy to answer

Customer:

thanks so much. I appreciate it

Shane-CPA :

There are some credits available to the elderly and disabled on a tax return where age is a determining factor, but usually the age that matter is 65. If the person is trying to obtain disability by claiming to be a different age, perhaps through social security, then there might be a reason to indicate the wrong birth date. However, most any government authority would confirm that information rather than just go by what the applicant is indicating. Especially in instances of disability and retirement income.

Customer:

cool. Thanks. I was talking about long term disability received when someone is say, 45.

Hi Michelle...This is Shane CPA from Just Answer. I assisted you with your question a few days ago. I wanted to follow up with you to see if my response has met your needs and if there are additional questions I can help you with.

Please let me know if I can be of service to you at any time!

I look forward to hearing from you!

Best Regards,
Shane, CPA
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, that was great. Please let me know if and how I need to pay. thanks.