InfoTaxes
InfoTaxes, Tax Preparer
Experience:  CTEC and IRS Registered Tax Return Preparer
64379840

hello, I just recieved my tax return from last year after the

hello, I just recieved my tax return from last year after the IRS told me my taxes have been garnished for back payment. Im wondering how this could have happened and how I could resolve it? I am worried that they may take my taxes again this year. How can I make sure I dont get into any trouble for someone elses mistake?
Category: Tax
Expert:  InfoTaxes replied 1 year ago.

InfoTaxes :

Thank you for using JustAnswer.com I will be more than happy to assist you!

InfoTaxes :

This sounds to me like someone else use d your social security

InfoTaxes :

Did you get any letter from the IRS explaining why they intercepted your return?

Customer:

no i did not it just got deposited in my account this morning. i did my taxes at h&r block. It has been a year since the irs told me they had garnished it

Customer:

could it be an H&R blocks mistake?

InfoTaxes :

It sounds to me that someone else had the same social security or that HR block entered a wrong social security on your taxes or account number

InfoTaxes :

Do they told you why they garnished your taxes?

InfoTaxes :

Did**sorry

Customer:

they did. it was for back taxes that happened in 2006 but i figured i wouldnt get anymore back lash from it. will it impact my taxes when filed for this year?

Customer:

i will also have to talk to H&R block about this wont I?

InfoTaxes :

So, the IRS took your money because you had a balance due on your 2006 taxes, right?

Customer:

yes

InfoTaxes :

Did you get all your money back or just part? If you get only part that means that the IRS took part of your return to cover your 2006 taxes

InfoTaxes :

If you owe any money to the IRS they will take part of your refund to offset the debt

Customer:

it looks like a part of it but will have to make sure about the amount as I still owe the payment to H&R block as well which i was going to pay when i do my taxes again. When you say offset do you mean a payment?

InfoTaxes :

yes a payment

InfoTaxes :

You can call the following phone number to see if you have any balance due to the IRS or the government ---- >

(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>
Customer:

so your saying that the IRS may have just taken a small amount of the taxes, someone else may be using my SSN or H&R block may have made an error?

InfoTaxes :

Since you said that you had a balance due on your 2006 taxes that change everything, that means the IRS took the money to cover your 2006 tax balance.

Customer:

so the IRS may have just sent back the remainder of the balance after taking a bit of it?

InfoTaxes :

Yes

InfoTaxes :

When you call(NNN) NNN-NNNNthe automated service will be able to tell you if you have any other past due amounts, if you have any other past due amounts the may take part or the entire refund of your taxes.

Customer:

wow i did not expect that to happen. will they do it again next year unlit it is payed off? I didnt know that

InfoTaxes :

Yes, they can do it again

InfoTaxes :

The Department of Treasury's Financial Management Service (FMS), which issues IRS tax refunds, has been authorized by Congress to conduct the Treasury Offset Program. Through this program, your refund or overpayment may be reduced by FMS and offset to pay:

• Past-due child support

• Federal agency non-tax debts

• State income tax obligations, or

• Certain unemployment compensation debts owed a state. (Generally these are debts for compensation that was paid due to fraud or for contributions due to a state fund that were not paid due to fraud)

Customer:

wow Thank you so much for the help...:-) is there a way i can print this out for reference?

InfoTaxes :

You can highlight the entire conversation and right click to print and also remember you can log in later and you will be able to see the conversation

InfoTaxes :

Let me know if you need more help and thank you in advance for your positive rating!

Customer:

thank you very much and your welcome...:-)

InfoTaxes :

Let me know if you need more help remember that I'm here to help you!

Customer:

your name?

InfoTaxes :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX you can also ask for InfoTaxes

Customer:

Thank You Erna

InfoTaxes :

You are very welcome I'm glad I was able to help you!

InfoTaxes :

Thank you in advance for your positive rating!

InfoTaxes, Tax Preparer
Experience: CTEC and IRS Registered Tax Return Preparer