wm030303
wm030303, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  I am both a CPA and EA with over 30 years of experience in solving tax related issues.
62711457

I have had an extension for my 2011 taxes to October 15. For

I have had an extension for my 2011 taxes to October 15. For both my federal and state (CT and CA) income taxes I overpaid and will be receiving a refund. I was curious what sort of penalties I would have to pay if I do not file my taxes by this deadline and file maybe 6 weeks late.

wm030303 :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

You should not be penalized if you overpaid all of your taxes. You may also receive interest income on any overpayment from the Federal Government. Penalties are assessed only if you owe additional taxes.

Let me know if you are satisfied with my answer or if you need further clarification.

Customer:

so there is no penalty in and of itself for late a late filing? I thought CT had something like a $100 charge. There is no filing fee from the Federal Government?

wm030303 :

CT has a late filing fee of $50. The federal govt does not charge a late filing fee.

wm030303 :

CT may or may not charge this fee depending upon your circumstances

Customer:

does california have a late filing fee? If I file past the deadline, do I just submit the filing. do I need to fill out any other paperwork?

wm030303 :

CA doesn't have a late fee similar to CT

Customer:

so is there any additional paperwork to submit if I file late?

wm030303 :

no