How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tax.appeal.168 Your Own Question
Tax.appeal.168 , Tax Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3443
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Tax.appeal.168 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am retired and live most of the year in arkansas.I am an

Resolved Question:

I am retired and live most of the year in arkansas.I am an alaska resident and have been for 30 years my wife is an arkansas resident as she is still working in arkansas. There is no state income tax in alaska on my federal retirement and the money is deposited in our alaska account that we still have and plan on maintaining.My vehicles are registered in alaska and I remain an alaska voter by absentee vote. We travel too alaska in the summer but do not maintain a home there anymore. Arkansas has a state income tax even on retirees .I do not work in anymore.Am I legal on what we are doing maintaining alaska residence. Thank you Jim
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 3 years ago.
Welcome, THANK YOU for using Just Answer. My goal is to help make your life...a little...LESS taxing.

For tax purposes, certain things come into play when determining your "tax home". SEE BELOW:


Residency is defined as the location of your main home. It's where you go when you come back from vacation or from a temporary job or business trip. It's where you hold a valid driver's license, where your mail is sent, where your immediate family lives, where you enroll your children in school and where you register to vote. The preponderance of connections to a place determines your state of residency. Even though you are still registered to vote in Alaska, this does not make it your tax home for tax purposes.

In brief, if you no longer maintain a home in Alaska, technically, it is not your state of residence for tax purposes.


Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

Thank you again for using JUST ANSWER.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There are alot of people that live in other states in there rv retired ,that maintain a residence in one of the 13 states that do not have a state income tax for tax purposes.are they illegal????

Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 3 years ago.

Illegal may not be the proper word to use here. Not in compliance, yes. SEE BELOW:

Why is an RV domicile important? Declaring an RV home base is extremely important. If you have your address in one state, your RV registered in another, your automobile insurance in a third state, and your driver's license in a fourth state, then you are out of compliance with all states and could face serious fines. In addition, each of the states may claim that you owe state income tax to them, since you may be considered a resident of each.

Some full time RVers already have a domicile. If you own a stick home that you will be keeping or renting out while you are on your RV travel with kids adventure, the state your home is in is your RV domicile. You most likely do not have the ability to change this. If you do not own a home, however, pick the state that fits your interests the best.

Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3443
Experience: 3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
Tax.appeal.168 and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience