How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillip B, EA Your Own Question
Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 704
Experience:  Practicing since 2004. Expert in 1040, small business, represent vs. IRS, & int'l tax mattters.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Phillip B, EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have to reconstruct my fed taxes for yr 2003 and 2004

This answer was rated:

I have to reconstruct my fed taxes for yr 2003 and 2004. I have purchased turbotax 2003 Deluxe and 2004 TurboTax Deluxe. I have entered info thru the deductions bar twice now. When I got up this morning and monday morning to continue my return, it restarts at the income tab at the 1099-G section for my military retirement. everything else is deleted. I constantly resave the file to another name (1 that has #1 afte3r my name). is there an update i can install or is there a glitch on the cd? Also can i deduct sales tax for wa state in the yrs 2003 and 2004. WA state does not have a state income tax. i have used turbo tax since 2005. I pray there is a fix to this problem. thank you! Xxxxx Xxxxxx xxx-xxx-xxxx

Thanks for using!

As far as your TurboTax issues are concerned, it sounds like a program glitch. Unfortunately, TurboTax doesn't provide updates for software older than the 2008 version. I would do the following:

1.) Try contacting TurboTax support. Officially they don't provide support for software that old. However, you may get lucky and find someone who knows the software from that year and who is willing to help. To contact Turbotax Support, go to:

2.) Try uninstalling the problematic software, restarting, then reinstalling the software. I know it sounds like a lame solution, but this may very likely fix your bug (especially if it caused by a installation error).

3.) If neither of these solutions work, you may want to hire a tax professional (CPA, Enrolled Agent, or tax attorney) or do the work by hand. Most tax professionals have very efficient software that should date that far back, a tax professional should be able to take care of these forms in a few days. If you decide to do the return by hand, you can find archived copies of 2003 and 2004 forms on the internet by googling "Year, and Form name (1040, schedule A,B,C,E,F,)"

I wish I could provide better assistance for your TurboTax issue.

Regarding sales taxes. Unfortunately, the option to deduct sales tax instead of state income taxes arose in tax year 2004. You cannot deduct sales taxes for 2003. For 2004, you can either deduct your actual sales tax (provided you kept all your receipts for 2004) or a IRS allowance based on your location, income, and size of household. Here is a copy of the 2004 Washington allowance table:

If this answers your question, please rate my performance between OK and Excellent so that I may be paid. If you need additional assistance, please reply to my answer so that I may assist you further.
Phillip B, EA and 5 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you