Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

My daughter, who was 14 at the time, received a trust from

Customer Question

My daughter, who was 14 at the time, received a trust from her father in the form of a lump sum after he passed away in 2010. The federal taxes have been paid. My question is that I was active duty military with a legal residence of the state of FL and she was/is my dependent, but the check was mailed to our address in MO. We were living in MO due to my duty station of Ft. Leonard Wood, MO. Does my daughter have to pay state taxes to MO on this trust? I was told once by the Dept. Of Revenue "No" and now am being told "Yes" and now the amount has increased due to intereste acccrued etc... Please help
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 4 years ago.

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
UNfortunately the amount would fall under MO taxation. Even though your legal residency is Florida your daughter's legal residency is what is important as well as the fact that you were residing in MO when the amount was paid.
When looking at the chart in the link below you must look at your daughter's info and not your military status for home of record
http://dor.mo.gov/pdf/nonres_flowchart.pdf
I wish I could advise differently.

Robin D :

Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional, and not necessarily whether you like the information that you are receiving.

Robin D :

I see you are standing by

Robin D :

Did you need more info on MO residency before you can offer a positive rating.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 4 years ago.

JACUSTOMER-ukitd4db- Last Viewed on 10/2/2012 at 2:44 PM

Please advise if you need more info or could not view the post, sometimes the CHAT does not allow the answer to be seen.

Just in case you could not view the response here is a copy:
Robin D :

I wish I could advise differently.

Robin D :

Robin D :

I see you are standing by

Robin D :