Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner

The IRS sent the bank levy notice to my residence instead of

Customer Question

The IRS sent the bank levy notice to my residence instead of the bank. The bank has confirmed several times that they do not have a levy notice for me. Ihave since made payment arrangements with the IRS. Can the IRS resend the levy notice?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 4 years ago.
Welcome, THANK YOU for using Just Answer. My goal is to help make your life...a little...LESS taxing.

Absolutely, the IRS can send a levy notice everyday. Note that the levy notice only applies to the amount of money that is in your account the day that the bank receives it, which means that if you have $5,000 in the bank on the day that they receive the levy, that entire $5,000 can be levied if owed. The bank is required to hold funds for 21 days before releasing them to the IRS. This 21 day period is so that the bank can make sure they have attached the correct account, and to give taxpayers a chance to work out something with the IRS. Since you've made payment arrangements with the IRS, my suggestion would be to contact them to let them you are still receiving levy notices. For more detailed information regarding IRS levy procedures, you can refer to the following IRS webpage:

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

Thank you again for using JUST ANSWER.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If the bank never received the levy notice and no money has been "frozen" will the IRS release the levy since payment arrangements have been made?

Hello again,

As you have made arrangements, it is likely that they will cancel the levy, but you need to call them to let them what's going on. You would think that they would be on top of the matter, but you must remember who you are dealing with,...the IRS.