How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 28081
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have lived and worked in Australia since 2009. I have yet

This answer was rated:

I have lived and worked in Australia since 2009. I have yet to file taxes in Australia for their financial years (which run July 1-June30) 2010-2011 and 2011-2012, but I have filed taxes every year in the USA on the income I have earned abroad. I plan on living in Australia indefinitely. Is there some kind of tax exemption I get for paying taxes in two countries? If so, how do I get the exemption?
Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

The US tax law requires US citizens - regardless where they live - to file the tax return and report all worldwide income. As an US citizen you have certain tax responsibilities with US taxing authorities. These responsibilities are separate from your responsibilities in a foreign country.
To to claim foreign earned income exclusion - the taxpayer should file either form 2555 or 2555EZ. Here are forms: Form 2555 Instruction 2555

Please be aware that - the exclusion above will not affect self-employment taxes - only income taxes. Only earned income is excludable - income from wages and self-employment. For instance - dividends, investment income, rental income, pensions, etc - are not excludable. Please also be aware that this credit is not granted automatically - you need to file a tax return and claim the credit. If the person bona fide resident of a foreign country - he/she may qualify for the foreign earned income and foreign housing exclusions and the foreign housing deduction. ($92,900 for 2011). To qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion - that should be a compensation for work done in a foreign country. If your workplace was in the US - the compensation doesn't qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion.

In additional...
If the same income is taxable abroad and in the US - you may claim a credit for taxes paid abroad - so the same income would not be taxed twice. Use the form 1116 - please find instructions here -
The credit is limited by the US tax liability on the same income - the form 1116 is used to calculate the amount of credit. Means - if tax liability abroad is higher - there will not be US taxes on that income, but if tax liability abroad is lower - in the US you will pay the difference after the credit will be applied.

You may amend your past tax returns if you did not claim these benefits and request a refund for overpaid taxes.
Let me know if you need any help.
Be sure to ask if any clarification needed.
Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions