Chea Romine
Chea Romine, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA, Managing Partner of medium sized CPA firm specializing in all areas of tax and accounting.

My son is a fla resident who owned a gas lease in Pa. He sold

My son is a fla resident who owned a gas lease in Pa. He sold the lease to a gas co and Pa. wants to charge him income tax on the sale. Can they do it? He has never been a pa resident. Thanks
Category: Tax
Expert:  Chea Romine replied 4 years ago.

Chea Romine :

Hi there, they actually can charge you tax on that income. The tax laws state that PA can charge tax on any person who earns income in the state whether they are a resident or not. The states look at it like you couldn't have earned that income unless you used our state to earn it, so they should be able to tax it. Sorry it is not what you were hoping for, but they are correct. You will file a non-resident PA return.

If you have any follow up questions please ask.