Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I have another question. My brother, Mike, has an AGI of $70,000

I have another question. My brother, Mike, has an AGI of $70,000 and made payments of $1,900 in state income tax withholdings, $850 in state income tax estimated tax payments, $7,100 in federal tax withholding, $4,800 in social security tax withholding from his wages, $400 for the state excise tax on liquor, $1,200 for state inheritance tax, $790 for the county real estate tax, and $510 for the school district tax on realty. We are trying to determine the total amount that he came include in itemized deductions and we are coming up with different answers. He says $17,550 in total and I think thats too high, please help

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
The liquor excise tax nor the federal and FICA are allowed. Tell your brother his number is XXXXX too high as he is taking deductions for unallowed taxes.

Robin D :

The Inheritance tax is not allowed either, sorry left that one out. Line 28 allows for estate taxes in respect of the decedant

Customer:

So he could deduct the other items for a total of $10,050? I was coming up with $8,150. I think I was forgetting the $1,900. I also used the individual tax formula to help him, is that a good way?

Robin D :

He can use the 1900,850,790, and the 510

Robin D :

$1,900 in state income tax withholdings YES
, $850 in state income tax estimated tax payments YES
, $7,100 in federal tax withholding, $4,800 in social security tax withholding from his wages NO
, $400 for the state excise tax on liquor NO
, $1,200 for state inheritance tax NO
, $790 for the county real estate tax, and $510 for the school district tax YES