Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

ra-ASA

Customer Question

HI, PLEASE HOW DO I GET MY SALES TAX REFUND. IAM A VISITOR FROM AFRICA AND HAVE A SALES TAX OF $2000 PLUS. IAM PRESENTLY IN WICHITA AND SHOULD BE TRAVELLING OUT TODAY BACK TO AFRICA VIA LONDON. I NEED THIS MONEY TO PAY PART OF MY HOTEL BILLS.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,

Sales tax charged in the U.S. is paid to individual states, not the Federal government - the same way that VAT is paid in many countries. If you are making a major purchase, such as a car, and you intend to export the item, you will want to contact the State taxation authority in the state where you will be making the purchase. They will be able to inform you of their criteria for refunding any sales tax paid.

Unless you are talking about a purchase of a vehicle that was being exported and not registered in the US, the state of Kansas does not refund sales tax on purchases made in their state.

Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional, and not necessarily whether you like the information that you are receiving.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I called Kansas Tax Line(NNN) NNN-NNNNon the 4th, and was informed by a lady at about 1300 that tax refund was possible but that I needed to fill the ST-21 form which I printed from ksrevenue.org.

I therefore see your information as MISLEADING and your service a very POOR one

If Kansas would refund on exported vehicle not registered in the US,(that is NOT TO BE USED IN THE USA), why NOT on 39 IPADs and their accessories that are exported to Africa which may never see the US again-afterall the exporter has no security number but was only in the US based on VISA.

The quetion is where goes the money deducted as sales tax?

Though the RETAILERS refused to be part of the refund and I need to swear as such-I still have hope to follow-up the refund thru KANSA DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE in Topeka KSNNN-NN-NNNNby posting the ST-21 form and other supporting documens from Africa. $2000plus is a lot to my economy.

Rgrds

Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.

There are specific situations when Kansas retailer would not add sales tax to a purchase.

A delivery outside of Kansas (whether to another state or another country) would not be subject to Kansas sales tax. If you entered Kansas and purchased the items form a common retailer, they were required to charge the sales tax. This is because Kansas has a destination based sales tax.

The only exemptions to the destination sourcing rules in House Bill 2005 and the Agreement are for sales of watercraft, modular homes, manufactured homes or mobile homes, and sales of motor vehicles, trailers semi-trailers or aircraft not used in interstate commerce. These items would be used outside Kansas and not registered in Kansas.

Under the destination sourcing rules, the sales tax in effect at the location where the customer receives the product applies.

If you spoke with someone at the Kansas state department and they assured you, that because you were leaving the US and had purchased these items in Kansas while you were physically in Kansas, you will have to fill out the Form you are in possession of and request the refund.