DanielleCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Years of Experience in Business & Personal Taxes

I have an S Corp and the final due date is Sept 15 for 2011.

I have an S Corp and the final due date is Sept 15 for 2011. The S corp is not taxed of course. I took a large loss in 2011 and I am sure I not only do not owe Federal or State Tax but should be getting a substantial refund.
I am concerned because I am working 7 days a week, have health problems. I gather the information and give it to a top notch tax accountant. I am also not sure if I can afford his services right now and I don't have the knowledge to file corporate return and personal return.
What could the potential consequences be if I don't file the personal and corporate returns for 2011 on time or is there any shortcut you could recommend?
Welcome and thanks for your question!

Sorry to hear about your problems. My best recommendation would be to file the tax returns on time, but if that is not an option, you need to prioritize. The penalty for late filing an S corp return is $195 per shareholder per month. Those penalties can add up pretty quickly.

Since you should be getting a substantial refund on your personal return, you won't have to worry about any penalties for late payment of tax. The penalty for late filing an individual tax return is generally 5% of the tax owed on the return per month that it is late. Again, if you are expecting a substantial refund, this would not be a penalty you would have to worry about.

Another option would be to file the returns yourself, but if you don't feel you have the necessary knowledge to do so, I urge you not to self-prepare your returns. If you are already working with an accountant and are happy with their services, I probably would not recommend switching to a less expensive and possibly less qualified accountant. Since the accountant is already familiar with your financial situation, perhaps you can work out an agreement or payment plan with them.

Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions and I will gladly assist you. If this satisfactorily answers your question, please give the answer a positive rating. Thank you and have a great day!