Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I just found out that my ex husband forged my name on our federal

I just found out that my ex husband forged my name on our federal tax refund. I got a copy of the forged check and took it to the bank. They suggested he do what was right and make restitution to me for my amount, which he did, begrudgingly. Now, he says he is going to rescend the taxes. Can he do that? I also found out that he forged my signature on our 2010 federal refund. We were separated at the time and it was for over 8000. I want to file forgery charges against him. Can I?

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

You could use those copies, since you have a proof of the forgery and you can also contact the IRS and make a report to them as well so that they can investigate. I would work hand in hand with a tax attorney to make the proper innocent spouse disclosures as well, so that if there are any looming deficiencies you aren't held responsible for them.

CLICK HERE for the criminal investigation unit, although the website is currently being updated so it may not be available immediately.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid, but the Web site will still collect your payment. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site**
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I went to the IRS and they said I could not file forgery at their office. I had to do it through forms that take a lot of time. My ex husband is a manipulating sociopath that will lie to get out of this. I want to nail him for forgery becuase that is exactly what he did. You didn't tell me anything that I didn't already know and you didn't even touch on the rescending question.

You cant file forgery charges through the IRS but you can certainly let them know what's going on and file for innocent spouse relief.

I have never heard of anyone rescinding taxes. You can't just say 'never mind I don't want this refund.' The only thing he could do is file an amended return, and even then he would need your signature, and if he did it without your signature that would only make matters worse.

To file forgery charges you would need to work with your local police department, who would investigate the claim. You can file this claim now, but any investigation through the IRS would only come after they get copies of your check - since you have them with the bank you can go talk to the local PD if you so choose.

Thank you for the positive rating. Please remember me the next time you have a financial question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer