How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Megan C Your Own Question

Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16322
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what is the total tax due on 69 K from 2009 including penalty

Customer Question

what is the total tax due on 69 K from 2009 including penalty and interest charged to date
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

The total tax due and interest and penalties depends on a variety of factors. For example, are you single, married filing joint, married filing separate, or head of household?

In addition, is the $69,000 your taxable income, or is it the amount of income you made in a year? If the latter, you must realize that there are exemptions and deductions you can take that will lower your tax.

Penalties depend on what penalties are applied. It's impossible to know what penalties the IRS will impose. It depends on the reason for the tax assessment, the judgment of the IRS, etc.

We could possibly give you an estimate if $69,000 is your taxable income, and if you claim the standard deduction. We could also give you a rough estimate of interest; however you would need to add penalties and interest on the penalties once you know which penalties apply to your situation.

Luckily it shows you are in Texas. There are no state taxes in Texas so you won't owe any tax on your income. This is good!

Please clarify:

1) filing status
2) is $69,000 your total income or taxable income
3) what type of penalties you expect to be subject to
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. Married

2. 69,000 taxable income


3. for non payment of taxes

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. married jointly

2. 69000 taxable income

3. non payment of taxes for years 2010, 11 and 12 . the moneys was earned in 2009

4. not sure what you mean by what type of penalties , non payment of taxes


Expert:  Megan C replied 3 years ago.
1) the tax due per the 2009 tax tables is $9,619

2) I used AcQuest calculator and came up with $3,559 in penalties

3) I used the same calculator and came up with 1,037 in interest

So the rough estimate is $14,215 in tax owed. Keep in mind, this may not be exact but it should be very close.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid, but the Web site will still collect your payment. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site**
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry total income is 69000

Expert:  Megan C replied 3 years ago.
Well, then I'm afraid that I cannt calculate that - because I have no way of knowing what your taxable income is until I do your tax return, which we cannot do on this site. There are a variety of factors that come into play that could reduce your overall tax liability.

The figure I gave you is your "worst case" scenario, and your tax will be much less.

I am sorry, but it's too complex to figure up what your tax would be and to guess what your taxable income would be would be doing you a disservice.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Wendy Reed's Avatar

    Wendy Reed

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • MequonCPA's Avatar


    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience