Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  Practicing since 2004. Expert in 1040, small business, represent vs. IRS, & int'l tax mattters.

Is the rent that is paid to the seller in a rent to own agreement

Is the rent that is paid to the seller in a rent to own agreement considered income and require taxes to be paid on it?
Thanks for using!

Yes. Rental income from a rent-to-own agreement on the sale of a home is considered taxable income and must be reported on your tax return.

If this answers your question, please rate my performance between okay and excellent so that I may be paid. If you have additional questions or need further assistance, please reply to this answer so that I can help you further. Thanks for using
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

how does this work if you still have a mortgage on the property? Can some of this income be deducted from your taxes?

Mortgage interest would be a deductible rental expense along with property tax, utilities, repairs and maintenance, and depreciation.