How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave CPA Your Own Question
Dave CPA
Dave CPA, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 840
Experience:  Vast knowledge within the accounting/tax industry
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Dave CPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I lived in Alaska for 33 years. I did sell my house there in

This answer was rated:

I lived in Alaska for 33 years. I did sell my house there in 2009. However I have not changed banks and still maintain an AK drivers license. I have accepted a job in Washington DC (federal job) in order to build my high three salary for retirement purposes. When I retire in the next 2-3 years I expect to move back to Alaska to live.



Welcome to Just Answer,


You are not a resident of Alaska per the definition below. While you can maintain a residency while absent per section (c), you have become inconsistent to section (a) when you sold your home and have no ties to the state.


Sec. 01.10.055. Residency.


(a) A person establishes residency in the state by being physically present in the state with the intent to remain in the state indefinitely and to make a home in the state.


(b) A person demonstrates the intent required under (a) of this section

(1) by maintaining a principal place of abode in the state for at least 30 days or for a longer period if a longer period is required by law or regulation; and

(2) by providing other proof of intent as may be required by law or regulation, which may include proof that the person is not claiming residency outside the state or obtaining benefits under a claim of residency outside the state.


(c) A person who establishes residency in the state remains a resident during an absence from the state unless during the absence the person establishes or claims residency in another state, territory, or country, or performs other acts or is absent under circumstances that are inconsistent with the intent required under (a) of this section to remain a resident of this state.


Below is a link to the state statute on this topic.

Hi. Another expert here. (Please give Dave credit for his research)


I am agreeing with Dave, and I will give another reason as well, that basically makes the point of what you are trying to do by establishing AK as your resident state moot.


Even on the assumption that you are an AK resident for the entire 3 years you work in DC, DC has the right to tax you as a NON-RESIDENT. If you were to file a DC Non-resident tax return based on your DC source income, you would pay the same or more tax to DC as if you were an Alaska resident.


As you know, Alaska has no state income tax on residents, so there is no change there. Your attempt to avoid DC tax, however, is not possible, whether you are an AK resident for tax purposes, or a DC resident (or part-year resident). As long as you work in DC, UNLESS YOU ARE IN THE MILITARY, income is taxable to the District.


If you are in the military, different rules apply altogether.




Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do appreciate your analysis and response. I work for the Army Corps of Engineers- Civilian so I am not active military. However, I do deploy to Afghanistan (once for 12 months May 2010 to June 2011 and 7 months September 2011to April 2012. I guess I am curious if I can use this time to avoid or mitigate back tax scenario?

I'm not aware of any exclusion for pay regarding non military personal working in a combat zone, but you can exclude a portion of your foreign earned income:


If your tax home is in a foreign country and you meet the bona fide residence test or the physical presence test, you can choose to exclude from your income a limited amount of your foreign earned income.


You also can choose to exclude from your income a foreign housing amount. This is explained later under Foreign Housing Exclusion. If you choose to exclude a foreign housing amount, you must figure the foreign housing exclusion before you figure the foreign earned income exclusion. Your foreign earned income exclusion is limited to your foreign earned income minus your foreign housing exclusion.


If you choose to exclude foreign earned income, you cannot deduct, exclude, or claim a credit for any item that can be allocated to or charged against the excluded amounts. This includes any expenses, losses, and other normally deductible items allocable to the excluded income.


Limit on Excludable Amount


You may be able to exclude up to $92,900 of your foreign earned income in 2011.

You cannot exclude more than the smaller of:

  • $92,900, or

  • Your foreign earned income for the tax year minus your foreign housing exclusion.

I have enclosed more information on this in the link below. It looks like based on your 12 month engagement, you might be able to exclude a portion of that income.


If I answered your original question to your satisfaction, please rate me accordingly.


Dave CPA, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 840
Experience: Vast knowledge within the accounting/tax industry
Dave CPA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience