Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
30050794

I am a term employee for a government division, term contract

I am a term employee for a government division, term contract of one year. I have been able to work in place, travel out of my home to various locations Monday - Friday. The division I work for is doing away with work in place positions and I must move to Dallas from my current home. Dallas will be my duty station, but I will still travel most every Monday to Friday to various locations around the country. If I got an apartment in Dallas, would I be able to deduct the cost as travel expenses
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 2 years ago.

Stephen E. Grizey :

Hi & thanks for using our service. I'll do my best to give you a complete & accurate answer. Please ask me to clarify anything you don't understand.

Stephen E. Grizey :

If you are an employee & Dallas is your "duty station", that would be your "tax home" so the cost of an apartment would not be a deductible travel expense. If you were an independent contractor and Georgia was your home, then that would also be your tax home and a different answer might result in terms of the apartment being a travel expense.

Customer:

Just to make sure, the term of my employment is slightly less than one year. Does that make a difference?

Stephen E. Grizey :

Not in these circumstances as your base of operations has switched to Dallas; basically you said you are no longer employed in Georgia, so it is just like switching jobs; what happens after you complete your assignment?

Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience: Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I return to Georgia and find another job. ,
At that time you'll be switching your residence back to Georgia.

If you maintain a permanent residence in Georgia, with the intention of returning after this assignment, and Georgia was your permanent residence, Georgia would tax your earning from Texas.

Since texas has no state income tax, that wouldn't be a favorable situation. You are better off with your residence in Texas while you work in Texas.