Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

If I had received a 1099, I would have filed taxes differently.

If I had received a 1099, I would have filed taxes differently. Can you argue on the basis that I never received a 1099. Also, I have a friend in a simular situation but does not have to pay taxes on he rdisability income..Why?

LEV :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
First of all we are required to report taxable income regardless if it was reported to the IRS or not.
So the fact that any specific income was not reported to the IRS is not a ground to exclude that income from tax liability.
On the other hand - we need to verify what type of income you had and why that specific income was or was not reported on 1099 form?

In relation to your situation:

-Social security benefits might be PARTLY taxable or not taxable depending on your other income.

-Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is NOT taxable.

Customer: