Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
30050794

My Husband is working on a IRS Form 433a for his tax liability.

My Husband is working on a IRS Form 433a for his tax liability. We have filed separately - do I have to sign the 433a. I am not comfortable signing.

Stephen E. Grizey :

Hi & thanks for using our service. I'll do my best to give you a complete & accurate answer. Please ask me to clarify anything you don't understand.

Stephen E. Grizey :

If your husband filled out the form, even though it contains information about you, and you didn't file a joint return, you do not need to sign the form.

Stephen E. Grizey :

You are not making the OIC; you have filed separately

Customer:

That's what I thought.

Stephen E. Grizey :

The space for a spouse to sign refers to a "taxpayer" in the situation of a joint return.

Customer:

He called really upset because he does not want to put me in any kind of jeopardy.

Stephen E. Grizey :

Please remember to rate my response in order that I may receive credit for my answers.

Stephen E. Grizey :

What do you mean? How would he be putting you in jeopardy? Because you had to sign?

Customer:

Correct if I signed it under perjury, etc. somehow I am making myself liable for his tax liability.

Stephen E. Grizey :

No. Even if you were to sign that wouldn't be the case.

Stephen E. Grizey :

All you are signing is that the information is accurate as far as you know. but you don't have to sign anyway.

Customer:

Unfortunately, I don't trust the IRS and don't feel knowledgeable enough to know my rights.

Stephen E. Grizey :

Filing a separate return protects you from his liability.

Customer:

Thanks for your help.

Stephen E. Grizey :

U R Welcome.