How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16576
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a small business and owe back 941 taxes, I worked with

This answer was rated:

I have a small business and owe back 941 taxes, I worked with a CPA and got everything filed. currently I owe alittle over 100,000 about 80,000 trust fund the rest in penalties and interest. I am working with a revenue officer and am currently compliant as well as making voluntary payments toward the back taxes. The officer is now asking for all bank statements going back to 09 and cancealed checks, I am not trying to hide anything and want to be compliant but should I consider legal help? The agents job is to get back everything he can and I don't know all my rights. I could use a little advice. Thank you.
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Thank you for your question - in a situation like this it is normal for the IRS to ask for your financial records, and since you owe $100,000 they are trying to determine how much you can pay. They will figure this by reviewing your bank statements, THey aren't going to take your word for it.

If you're already using a CPA for this issue, I would simply tell them about the request and have them field all the questions from the revenue officer. The CPA will know what has to be divulged vs what doesn't, and isn't emotionally involved in the process. They can also help you provide the information in a way that is user friendly, and will assist the IRS revenue officer with their inquiry.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. Please take a moment to rate my response as "EXCELLENT" So that I may be compensated for assisting you today. If you need follow up assistance, please hit "reply" or "continue conversation" before giving a rating of less than "OK SERVICE"
Megan C and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for the positive rating. Please remember me the next time you have a financial question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer

Related Tax Questions