Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

If my wages, while I was working, were being garnished can

If my wages, while I was working, were being garnished can my retirement benefits (not social security but a government employees retirement - CALPERS) be garnished (that is, if the garnishment has not been satisfied at the time of retirement)?
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Thank you for your question. CALPERS pensions are a government pension, and therefore can only be garnished for purposes of child support and back taxes. If your garnishment was due to a civil judgment, your pension payment will not be able to be garnished.

However if your debt is to the IRS, they will be able to continue garnishing your pension check.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. Please take a moment to rate my response as "EXCELLENT" So that I may be compensated for assisting you today. If you need follow up assistance, please hit "reply" or "continue conversation" before giving a rating of less than "OK SERVICE"
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay, that answers the question about CALPERS, how about LACERA (Los Angeles County Employees Retirement Association)?
Same goes for LACERA as well - only things that can touch your retirement payment are child support obligations and back taxes to the IRS or the state of California.

Thank you for the positive rating. Please remember me the next time you have a financial question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer